Baltimore Streetcar Museum’s youngest car, 7407 was built by the Pullman-Standard Car Manufacturing Company in 1944 for the Baltimore Transit Company. It was one of the last streetcars ordered for Baltimore until the MTA bought the new light rail cars. Since this car was built during the Second World War, the stanchions are painted instead of chrome coated. This car represented the height of streetcar development in the world when it was built and has the same general performance characteristics as the modern light rail cars. This car was rebuilt in the early 1990’s and is painted in its original color scheme of cream, Alexandria blue, and orange. The original paint scheme of Baltimore’s PCC cars was the result of a student competition circa 1936 at the Baltimore Institute of Art.
Published January 24, 2017 at 1200 × 800 in LAYOVER
Leave a Reply